If you have a background in health care, California needs you! Here’s how to join California Health Corps.
On this page:
About California Health Corps
California Health Corps is the state’s response to increased health care needs due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Medical professionals throughout the state can join this program to relieve the pressure on our health care system. This helps both COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 patients get the care they need.
Register today to ensure adequate staff for health care sites throughout California.
- Nurses (RN, LVN, CNA)
- Emergency medical technicians
- Nurse practitioners
- Physicians (MD, DO, psychiatrist)
- Physician Assistants
- Respiratory therapists
- Behavioral health professionals
How to join
Step 1 – Confirm your eligibility
To be eligible for COVID-19 emergency medical staffing roles, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or over
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Have a valid ID and Social Security number
- Have a valid California license for clinical practice (if you are a MD, DO, etc.)
- Have no negative licensure/certification actions (for licensed/certified professionals)
Step 2 – Register for Disaster Healthcare Volunteers (DHV)
This system verifies your medical license and identifies your deployment preferences.
Step 3 – Once verified, we’ll have you submit an application
You will get instructions for how to apply through CalCareers.
Step 4 – Onboard
You will need to complete some standard employment documentation. Then, you train on how to sign up for shifts, how to request lodging and reimbursement, what to expect, and more.
Step 5 – Deploy
- Once approved to work, your personal online portal will let you:
- Sign up for shifts
- View upcoming shifts
- Submit hours worked
- View helpful resources
- We can match you with facilities nearest to you, or we can arrange to add you to facilities statewide.
- California Health Corps Deployment Team will help you:
- Sign up for shifts
- Arrange for lodging
- Reimburse your travel expenses
- Answer your questions
- Track your hours
Resources for participants
- Health Corps FAQ: FAQ-Health-Corps
- Travel Reimbursement FAQ: FAQ-Travel-Reimbursement
- SNF Orientation: SNF-Nursing-Staff-Orientation
- How to file a complaint: How-to-file-a-complaint
- Direct deposit: Std699-Direct-Deposit
- Travel expense claim: Std262-Travel-Expense-Claim
- Employee Action Request: Std686-Employee-Action-Request