Terms and Conditions
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) will conduct a series of randomized drawings for prizes to be awarded to vaccinated persons in order to reinforce the importance of vaccination as a way to protect public health in the face of a pandemic. The persons identified in the drawings will be able to claim a California Dream Vacations trip.
TERMS OF PROGRAM:
Drawings for the six (6) California Dream Vacations will take place on July 1, 2021. Six people will be drawn at random on that date. Drawing dates are subject to change. An eligible individual can win no more than 1 destination vacation package. CDPH reserves the right to terminate or extend this promotion at any time.
ELIGIBILITY AND PARTICIPATION:
The persons eligible for the drawings will be limited to living persons, age 18 and older at the time of the drawing, who were not temporarily present in California when they received a vaccine dose, and are identified in the State’s vaccine registry, as of the time of the drawing, as having received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. No action is needed by eligible persons to be included in the drawings. No purchase or payment of fees is necessary for participation. Immigration status is not a barrier to eligibility. Incarcerated persons are not eligible. Employees of CDPH, the California State Lottery, the California Health and Human Services Agency, the Government Operations Agency, Visit California, the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development, and the Office of the Governor, and their immediate families, are not eligible. “Immediate family” means spouse and dependent children, consistent with California Government Code section 82029. Note: Eligible persons below the age of 21 may not be able to redeem some portions of the California Dream Vacations is selected as a winner.
WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION:
- CDPH will lead a process by which the State will randomly select provisional winners from eligible participants. To do so, CDPH will provide a list of random number identifiers representing each eligible participant – identifiers that can only be connected with persons’ identities by CDPH – to the California Lottery, which will conduct the random drawing using standard practices applicable to drawings that ensure randomness and integrity of the draw. The California Lottery will then transmit the selected numbers back to CPDH, which will identify and contact the selected persons. Following confirmation from CDPH, CDPH will provide the winner with contact information which can then be used to contact Visit California to redeem their package.
- The names of award winners will not initially be announced due to state law concerning disclosure of immunization records. The names of award winners may subsequently be announced if consent is first received from the award winner.
- Winners will be given the opportunity to decline the prize or decline publicity associated with the prize.
- Accepting the prize will require giving consent to disclose the winner’s information from CDPH’s vaccine registry for purposes including, but not limited to, tax withholding/reporting.
- If CDPH cannot immediately make contact via telephone with the persons selected in the drawing, CDPH will repeat efforts to contact the persons via telephone, text, email or other contact information associated with the person’s record in the State’s vaccine registry. Contact attempts will take place between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Pacific Time. CDPH’s efforts to contact persons selected in the drawing may end 96 hours after the first attempt at contacting the persons, after which time they may no longer be offered a prize and another person may be selected for the prize from the pool of eligible persons. The method of attempting to contact selected persons, using the contact information available, is within the sole discretion of CDPH and not subject to appeal or review.
- The timing and degree of efforts used to locate a winner or to deem a winner ineligible based upon the terms of the program shall be at the sole discretion of CDPH.
- The random drawing will also include selection of alternates in case selected persons decline the prizes, are ineligible for the prizes, or cannot be contacted, to ensure all prizes are awarded.
The odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible persons identified in the State’s vaccine registry at the time of the drawing. Publicly available data regarding the number of eligible persons may be found on the State’s COVID dashboard.
- Prizes may be subject to taxation.
- Portions of the California Dream Vacation prize packages may be non-transferable.
- Except as otherwise specified herein, prize winners who agree to the use of their names and/or likenesses for advertising and publicity purposes, do so without compensation.
- Proof of age, eligibility and identity must be furnished upon request.
- Winners will receive the prize only upon completion of their second dose (when receiving a vaccine that requires that the person receive two doses to be fully vaccinated).
- Awarding of prizes will be made through Visit California.
- Awarding of prizes is contingent on the completion of any necessary and appropriate paperwork to facilitate awarding of any prize.
- CDPH has the right to modify or end the Vax for the Win program at any time.
- To accept and receive a prize, participants must agree to release and hold harmless CDPH, Visit California, and their employees, agents and officers from any claim, demand, judgement, award and/or any liability of any kind related to this Vaccine Incentive Public Health Program.
In the event of a conflict, these official rules supersede any applicable general rules or advertisements of the Vax for the Win program.
 The determination of whether a person was temporarily present in California shall be at the sole discretion of CDPH and not subject to review or appeal.
 Some persons who have received a dose of COVID-19 vaccine in California may not be identified in the State’s vaccine registry. If CDPH is unable to obtain vaccination status information about such individuals from other governmental agencies holding such information prior to the drawings, such individuals will not be eligible for drawings. CDPH makes no commitment or promise that such information will be obtained from other governmental agencies prior to the drawings.