Nursing homes and assisted living facilities have been severely affected by outbreaks of coronavirus. Facilities are working with state and local health departments to reduce the disease’s impact on residents and staff.
There are new efforts to reduce infection, including new rules on visits to residents. Read them below, and learn what you can do to protect and connect with your loved ones in senior living.
Keeping residents safe
- Frequently asked questions for friends and family
- Caregiving From Afar: Questions to ask the facility (PDF)
- Coronavirus in Long-Term Care: Information for Advocates
- 6 Ways to Stay Connected with Seniors
State guidance for senior living
- CDPH Guidance for Skilled Nursing Facilities
- CDSS Guidance for Residential Care Facilities for Elderly
- COVID-19 cases in skilled nursing facilities (CDPH)
- COVID-19 cases in adult and senior care facilities (CDSS – click “Additional Resources”)
To know what steps a senior living facility is taking, contact them or check their website.
Use the federal Nursing Home Compare to see detailed information about nursing homes.
Use CDSS’s Care Facility Search to see or lodge complaints about assisted living.